Saturday, February 22, 2014

All clear!

This morning my mind is just blah.  Gage is good.  He is taking his first nap of the morning after waking up at 5 ready to go.  Without steroids in his body or seizures to wear him out he's like a normal 10 month old going to be at 7 and waking up at the butt crack of dawn.  It's funny how much I used to wish Owen would sleep all the time when he would wake me up at 5 in the morning ready to play but having a baby that sleeps ALL the time just isn't normal, it isn't right.  The little things you want more of like sleep and a bit of quietness just depresses you when that's ALL you have from your baby.  It's not natural.  Sometimes I think this is God's way of making me look from the outside in for once.  I finally understand the phrase "the grass is always greener on the other side" more so now than ever.

The doctors still don't know why Gage went tachycardia/tachypneic.  He was breathing at 80 breaths per minute at rest...WAY too fast.  But they tested for everything and eventually just chalked it up to him coming off of the steroid.  He calmed down his breathing and it didn't happen again.  While there he did some odd jerky moves that ended up being gas :o), but it still freaked me out and made me cry. All I had to do was video the movements on my phone and send them to the office manager at UT Pediatric Epilepsy Center who forwarded it to Dr. Watkins, who not 30 minutes later came to our room, during a conference no less, to tell me he didn't think it was anything but just to reassure me he would set up a short EEG.

We got the wonderful news not 10 minutes later after it was done that there were no signs of epileptic activity or seizures! Dr. Watkins then called me to make sure that I had heard and if I had anymore questions or concerns.  I can't tell you how awesome that feeling is to LOVE your kid's doctor and the nurses that work with him.  The relationship that they have with Memorial Herman Children's Hospital and their attendees is also wonderful.  I have absolutely no reservations about Gage's treatment.  I encourage everyone with a medical condition or crises to ask around for the best because to have that trust and relationship with you or your child's doctor is a feeling of absolute contentment that I cannot even describe.

Thank you for all the prayers and texts and personal messages.  God bless you all!      


1 comment:

  1. So glad all seems well. Your post takes me back a few years. Tristan slept more than any kid we knew. As our first, I remember wanting him to be awake more so we could play with him. Haha. Then came Brandon, 100% opposite of Tristan, and I craved that sleep, that quiet, that time to myself. Then the twins, that was the end of all natural sleep and rest. -:))

    ReplyDelete